top of page
  • fidosbarkteam

Beware: The Top Foods That Are Poisonous To Your Dog

As responsible pet owners, we strive to keep our furry friends safe and healthy. However, sometimes even the most well-meaning actions can inadvertently put our beloved dogs at risk. One common danger lurking in many households is certain foods that are toxic to dogs. While some human foods are safe for canine consumption in moderation, others can have serious and potentially fatal consequences if ingested. In this article, we'll explore some of the top foods that are poisonous to dogs and should be avoided at all costs.


Chocolate is perhaps one of the most well-known toxic foods for dogs. It contains theobromine and caffeine, both of which are stimulants that can lead to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, seizures, and even death. The darker the chocolate, the higher the concentration of these harmful compounds, making dark chocolate and cocoa powder particularly dangerous for dogs.

Grapes and Raisins

While the exact toxic substance in grapes and raisins remains unknown, these seemingly harmless fruits can cause kidney failure in dogs. Even small amounts can be toxic, leading to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, lethargy, and decreased urine production. In severe cases, ingestion of grapes or raisins can be fatal.

Onions and Garlic

Onions and garlic, whether raw, cooked, or in powdered form, contain compounds called thiosulfates, which can damage a dog's red blood cells and lead to a condition known as hemolytic anemia. Symptoms of onion or garlic toxicity in dogs include weakness, lethargy, pale gums, vomiting, diarrhea, and in severe cases, collapse and organ damage.


Xylitol is a sugar substitute commonly found in sugar-free gum, candies, baked goods, and some peanut butter brands. While harmless to humans, xylitol is highly toxic to dogs and can cause a rapid release of insulin, resulting in dangerously low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia). Ingestion of xylitol can lead to symptoms such as vomiting, weakness, tremors, seizures, and liver failure.


Avocado contains a substance called persin, which is toxic to dogs in large amounts. While the flesh of ripe avocado is generally considered safe for dogs to eat in small quantities, other parts of the avocado plant, such as the pit, skin, and leaves, contain higher concentrations of persin and should be avoided. Ingestion of avocado can lead to gastrointestinal upset, including vomiting and diarrhea.

Dog Parent Responsibilities

As pet owners, it's our responsibility to be mindful of the foods we feed our dogs and to educate ourselves about potential hazards. By familiarizing ourselves with the top foods that are poisonous to dogs and taking proactive measures to prevent accidental ingestion, we can help keep our canine companions safe and healthy for years to come. Remember, when in doubt, always consult with your veterinarian if you suspect your dog has ingested something toxic.

Are you a dog parent who is interested in improving your dog's health? Please SUBSCRIBE to Fido's Bark and follow us on Instagram and Facebook for the latest news!

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page